Sunday, May 20, 2012

Living a Low Carb Lifestyle

So I just had to post this! Only because it is starting to get frustrating to me on how people are quick to assume that all I eat is meat! I am trying to follow a low carb diet. I very strongly believe (and always have) that since not all body types are the same, not all diets are going to effect everyone the same way. I would try low fat, calorie counting diets with my friends and they would loose weight and I would gain! I finally decided to try something different and In the past I lost 50lbs on Atkins.  I was the most healthy I have EVER been! I had soo many people telling me that Atkins was so bad for me! I couldn't understand why they would say that especially since all my cholesterol levels were good, my blood pressure was great and I had the most energy I had ever had. That was almost 10 years ago. I find it so funny how now most diets are now saying lower carb (or lower glycemic index diets, which are very very very similar) are better for you! Even weight watchers made starchy foods higher points and most higher protein foods lower points! So part of me really wants to say HA!

So, let me show you all what I eat each day on an Atkins diet:

Breakfast: Bell Pepper Rings filled with eggs and motzerella (this is seriously delicious!)
Snack: Double chocolate express smoothie
Lunch: Grilled chicken on mixed greens with tomato's and parmesean
Snack: Green bell peppers with creamy italian dressing
Dinner:Turkey pumpkin stew.


 As you can see I don't just eat meat! I eat veggies veggies and more veggies! My diet is very satisfying. Once I got through the induction phase (2 weeks of only 20-25 grams of carbs allowance that MUST come from vegetables) I had no more cravings for sugar and uncontrolled eating! And every week that I am on my diet I slowly introduce new forms of carbs from lower glycemic fruits, to nuts, and beans.

Here is a little science of what carbs and high glycemic foods do to our bodies: In a nutshell high glycemic foods cause a spike in our blood sugar levels. When those blood sugar levels spike it causes a release of insulin. That sudden release of insulin makes our bodies think that we are in a starvation mode and causes us to think we are either hungry or craving something to eat. Since it causes our bodies to believe we are starving we then store more fat for our own (natural) protection, or binge on the freshly baked cookies we just made and before we know it already ate half of them (not that I am speaking from experience or anything ;) ) 

I know all of this from 1. following a low GI diet in the past and 2. Last September I did some extensive research on the effect of high GI foods and the skin. I recently stumbled upon a great website that goes over the many myths that people associate with a low carb diet. I highly recommend you to take a peek! Healty Low Carb Living Myths.

So far since I have been following my low carb lifestyle (started about 4 weeks ago). I have lost 9lbs. I have SO much more energy, and an added bonus...my skin looks fantastic! I think everyone should at least consider watching their sugar intake into their diets just for the standard health benefits of it.

Anyways! I feel fantastic!

No comments: