Friday, February 10, 2012

Just Business

"It's nothing personal. Just Business" Can I just say how much I loath that term! Who came up with it anyways? Everything about that phrase is "personal"! (Here I am venting on my blog again. But I feel this time it is for good reason.)

Recently (within the past two weeks) some major changes came out of nowhere with my work. Out of the blue we learned that our business (the school that I work for) has been up for sale and it was now being purchased. It was a "business" decision. However if you think about it, that "business" decision was made for personal benefits. That "business" decision personally caused some people to lose their jobs. That "business" decision broke up our little SkinScience family. The worst part about it is, is that our students are the ones who are going to suffer the most from these changes.

Let me first clarify that I had made a decision to quit before I knew about the changes (due to childcare arrangements). However if I had not I would still have quit because the changes that the new owners are making I "personally" don't agree with.  Who knows, maybe I really am not giving them the benefit of the doubt, but it is really hard for me to see my former employers (not the owner of the school) work so incredibly hard to have our school move forward and be a first institution of its kind in Utah all be flushed down the toilet. All because important information that the school was being placed up for sale was not shared with them. Now all the hard work that they did doesn't matter any more. So for them it is "personal"

To all my SkinScience friends, co-workers, and students I will miss you all so greatly! For the past 3 years I have worked with you and taught you and become friends with you. Just like a great boss and mentor said "the only thing in life that is constant, is change. You can either embrace it or run away from it". So I encourage everyone to embrace it and open up new doors and step forward to amazing changes that are to come.

I love and will miss you all!

Emily

No comments: